Many websites choose to limit their RSS feeds to only show excerpts of the full posts. Here are a few ways (free and premium) to get the full-text RSS feed from almost any website.
RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds often only provide a truncated (shortened) version of an article. In other words, it will only provide users with a short excerpt of the original post and perhaps a featured image to go along with it.
It limits what you’re able to import from the original source, leaving you without the possibility of displaying the full article to your readers (with the appropriate credit given to the original source, of course).
There exist a few full-text RSS solutions to get around this, which we’ll share with you throughout this article, including a step-by-step guide on retrieving full RSS content with out solution of choice: WP RSS Aggregator.
Distinguishing partial from full-text RSS feeds: A closer look at the benefits
The primary difference between partial and full-text RSS feeds lies in content delivery. Partial feeds present only summaries, requiring additional clicks to access full articles. In contrast, full-text feeds allow readers to consume entire articles within the feed, promoting a smoother user experience.
This direct access to complete content is crucial for effective content curation and management, as it enables content managers to tailor and organize articles more efficiently. By offering full-text feeds, websites implementing content curation can significantly enhance user engagement, content relevance, and overall site value.
Selecting the best full-text RSS conversion tool for your needs
There are several methods to convert partial RSS feeds into full-text feeds, suitable for various needs and technical skills:
- Feed aggregator services: Online platforms offer tools to fetch entire content from web pages and display it within the RSS feed, turning partial feeds into full-text feeds.
- Web scraping tools: Using scripting languages like Python, custom scripts can be written to scrape the full content from web pages linked in the RSS feed. This approach requires programming knowledge but allows for great flexibility.
- RSS feed expanders: Specialized services or plugins are available that are designed to expand partial feeds into full-text feeds by automatically retrieving the full content from linked articles.
- Browser extensions: Some browser add-ons can modify RSS feeds to display full text by fetching the complete content of linked articles and integrating it into the feed.
- Content curation platforms: Certain platforms offer the functionality to convert partial feeds into full text as part of their broader content management tools.
- Custom development: Advanced users can develop custom solutions using programming languages to fetch and parse the full content from source websites, allowing for maximum customization.
- RSS-to-email services: These services convert RSS feeds into email newsletters, effectively distributing full article contents via email, though not directly converting them into full-text RSS feeds.
- API-based solutions: Some application programming interfaces can take a partial RSS feed and return a full-text version, often as part of larger content aggregation or analysis services.
The choice among these methods depends on the user’s specific needs, technical abilities, and resources. Non-technical users often find aggregator services, RSS feed expanders, and browser extensions more accessible, while those with technical expertise may prefer web scraping tools or custom development for greater control.
Popular tools for full-text RSS feed generation: A comparison
In this comparison, we delve into popular tools for full-text RSS feed generation, assessing their features, ease of use, and effectiveness in enhancing your content curation efforts.
1. WP RSS Aggregator
WP RSS Aggregator’s Full Text RSS Feeds feature is a powerful tool for content-rich website creation. It simplifies the process of displaying complete articles from various sources, enhancing user engagement and streamlining content curation. This feature is an invaluable asset for elevating your WordPress site into a dynamic content platform.
Some of its key benefits include:
- Rich content: With Full Text RSS Feeds, you can automatically import entire articles, including original formatting and media, directly onto your site.
- Streamlined workflow: Automate the import of full articles, saving time and effort in content management.
- Comprehensive content library: Create a diverse and in-depth content library on your website by importing full articles from various sources.
WP RSS Aggregator offers a high-quality full-text service with its Pro Plan.
2. Five Filters
Five Filters offers a free and a premium version that provides you with a full-text RSS service that enables you to transform a partial web feed into the full content, stripped of any clutter or ads. This will allow you to read articles in full, whenever and wherever you prefer.
3. WM Utils
Another such service is WM Utils. Once again, this is completely free, and it can take a shortened RSS feed or a webpage URL and convert it into a static full-text RSS feed. Nowadays, this is also built using the FiveFilters service.
BazQux Reader is a subscription-based service, priced at $30 per year, designed to enhance your feed reading experience. One of its standout features is the ability to convert summary feeds into full-text articles, ensuring you can read the entire content directly in the reader. Alongside this full-text capability, BazQux Reader offers customizable themes, efficient desktop and mobile interfaces, and features like article commenting, secure reading without third-party tracking, and powerful search and filtering tools.
How to generate full-text RSS feeds with WP RSS Aggregator
Generating a full-text RSS feed couldn’t be easier with WP RSS Aggregator’s Pro Plan.
To set up a full text feed, simply:
1. Navigate to RSS Aggregator > Settings > Custom Feed.
2. Enter the Custom feed URL you prefer.
3. Designate a name for the feed using the Custom feed title.
4. Set the maximum number of feed items to include by adjusting the Custom feed limit.
5. Once your feed is set up, you need to navigate to RSS Aggregator > Feed Sources and check the Force Full Content box to retrieve the full feed content.
Leveraging full-text RSS feeds for content marketing success
As we’ve explored, these feeds are not just about delivering more content but about enhancing user engagement, streamlining your content management, and maintaining the integrity of the original articles.
Whether you’re aggregating news, building a curated content platform, or simply seeking to provide a more comprehensive reading experience, WP RSS Aggregator’s Pro Plan is your go-to choice. Its ability to seamlessly convert partial feeds into full-text articles, coupled with an intuitive setup process, makes it an invaluable asset for any WordPress site owner.
Don’t let truncated RSS feeds limit your site’s potential. Embrace the full capabilities of WP RSS Aggregator and transform the way your audience interacts with your content. Get started today and see the difference it can make in keeping your readers informed, engaged, and connected.